Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Penguins Ink Therrien


The NHL team with the brightest future has just inked a big part of the next few years to come.

Head Coach Michel Therrien has signed a contract extension through the '08-09 season. Therrien led the Penguins to the Atlantic Division title with 105 points last year and their 1st playoff berth since 2001 last year.

The Penguins GM Ray Shero announced the extension on Monday. “He had a year left, so he wasn’t going anywhere, nor did he want to go anywhere, but I really believe that showing faith in your coaching staff and head coach, especially after the year he had, gives some stability to the franchise, which is important. I think this is just another step in the right direction for us,” Shero said. “What I talked to him about was, if I came in last year and there wasn’t a coach in place and I had hired somebody, I would have hired him for three years. A three-year contract is pretty standard and he has two years left, so he was very agreeable to that. I am hopeful this is something that is going to turn into something more long-term. We’ll see how things go moving forward. It’s well deserved."

Therrien will try to improve on last years 1st round elimination, with young players like Sidney Crosby and Jordan Stall getting better.

No comments: