Thursday, April 19, 2007

No-Hit Wonder


Last year, Anibal Sanchez threw a no-hitter. That broke the longest streak ever in the Majors without one. It didn't take long to get another.

The White Sox Mark Buehrle yesterday was 1 batter short of a perfect game as Sammy Sosa got a walk in the 5th. But Mark quickly threw him out at 1st on a pickoff throw. In the 9th, Buehrle was yet to give up a hit. So he struck out Matt Kata and Nelson Cruz. Then, the final batter of the game was Gerald Laird. He hit a slow grounder to Joe Crede, who fired it to 1st for the out. Upon realizing what just happened, the entire Sox bench went and celebrated with him on the mound.

''I can't believe I did it,'' Buehrle said. ''Perfect game would have been nice, too.'' 'I knew Crede over there, he's a pretty good defensive player. I had faith in him and I just started pumping my fist because I knew I had a chance to get the out,'' Buehrle said.

In the end, it seems Buehrle jinxed himself in that game as he went up to some of his players and said, "You know I got a no-hitter going.''

Itis the 1st no-hitter in the AL since Derek Lowe in 2002.

''People try to jinx and I was trying to jinx on myself,'' Buehrle said.