Thursday, March 1, 2007
February's Top 10 Stories
10. Marty Schottenheimer Fired - San Diego Head Coach Marty Shcottenheimer always had a rusty relationship with GM A.J Smith. The coach led the Chargers to another division title but came up short in the playoffs as they lost to the New England Patriots. The Chargers are yet to re-sign many coaching jobs.
9. NBA Trade Deadline Dud - Going into the NBA trade deadline, many names were up there that were supposedly going to be traded - Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Mike James, the list goes on and on. But in the end, the Toronto Raptors made the biggest trade as they traded Fred Jones for Juan Dixon? That to me is pretty sad.
8. Cristobal Huet Out For the Rest of the Regular Season - The #1 goalie for the Montreal Canadiens had just gone out of a game against New Jersey. It didn't look to bad until an MRI. Huet had torn part of his hamstring and was going to be out for the rest of the regular season.
7. World Pond Hockey Championships - On February 8th, the World Pond Hockey Championships started in Plaster rock, New Brunswick. I had inside info about the Shannon Shamrocks who were at the tournament yet again. The didn't get into the playoffs, but they had a good time. Also the Boston Danglers won for the 4th straight time.
6. Super Bowl - It was all hyped up about Peyton Manning, and about Rex Grossman, and then it happened. The Super Bowl started. The game was horrible as Grossman played awful and Manning wasn't excited when he won. It was an awful game.
5. Messier's Number Gets Retired - Legend Mark Messier was very emotional as his number was raised to the rafters in Edmonton. He won 5 Stanley Cups in Oiler Country.
4. Daytona 500 - The Great American Race took place at Daytona Beach. The race ended with Kevin Harvick and beating Mark Martin by just .020 seconds! It was Harvick's 1st win at Daytona.
3. Forsberg Gets Traded to Nashville - Just a couple days before the trade NHL trade deadline, the Nashville Predators won the Peter Forsberg Sweepstakes getting him for the playoff run. He scored his first goal in overtime.
2. Buffalo and Ottawa have brawl - The Buffalo Sabres and the Ottawa Senators had a brawl on February 22nd. The brawl resulted in 100 minutes in penalties and a great re-match 2 nights later.
1. NHL Trade Deadline - Just a couple days ago, the NHL trade deadline happened. Over 20 trades happened and over 40 players were moved. One of those players was Ryan Smyth who was traded to the NY Islanders. He mde his debut by getting 1 assist.