Thursday, May 24, 2007

Leetch Ends 18-Year Career


It was evident to everyone that Bryan Leetch would not return to the game of hockey for the '06-07 season. He offers from New York and Edmonton, but turned all of them down. He officially retired today.

"You can go right down those record books," Leetch said Thursday from Boston. "From Gretz and Mess, you've got Marcel Dionne, Guy Lafleur, Ron Francis, Mike Gartner and just on and on.

"It's been amazing. That's what I kind of really I shake my head at _ how many interesting players I've been able to be friends with and play with."

During his 18-year career, he won the Norris Trophy 2 times and was part of the Stanley Cup winning team in New York in 1994. He collected his 1,000th point in his career while playing for the Bruins in 2005-06.

He has many records that will probably stand for a while and will go down as one of the best defence men to ever play in the NHL.

"Everyone wanted me to keep playing or at least to keep the option of coming back open," said Leetch. "But I knew inside that I wasn't going to play anymore.

"It's just kind of letting everybody else know now."

No comments: